1 box of chocolate cake mix, whichever flavor you like (Chocolate or White) eggs, water, oil as directed on box of cake mix
1/2 cup frosting (Duncan Hines works fine)
40 Maraschino cherries with stems
2 (12 oz.) packages of Wilton white candy melts or about 1 lb. of Ghiradelli dipping chocolate
wax paper or parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cake mix as directed on box. Bake and let cool completely.
2. Crumble the cake into a large bowl. Add the 1/2 cup of frosting and combine using a hand mixer. Keep mixing until you get a similar consistency to cookie dough, about 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Scoop mixture out by a Tablespoonful. Roll into a ball.
4. Drain maraschino cherries and pat dry with a paper towel. Using your thumb make a dent into the ball. Add the cherry. Bring cake mixture up and around cherry. Roll in hands to make a nice round ball.
5. Follow package instructions for melting your dipping chocolate. Dip each cake ball and set on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Let chocolate harden.
6. Store in the refrigerator, but bring to room temperature before serving.