(Makes 8 brownies)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ww pastry flour (or white, or you can try spelt or gluten-free option)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar (for sugar-free version, see nutritional info link below)
- 3 tbsp soft tofu or mori-nu firm or lite firm (click for Soy-Free Recipe)
- 1/3 cup applesauce (use only 1/4 cup if using 3tbsp oil)
- 1 to 3 tbsp oil (I use coconut oil. Canola is ok too.)
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional: chocolate chips!
Combine dry ingredients, and mix very well. In a blender, combine wet ingredients and blend until smooth. (I use a Magic Bullet cup.) Pour wet over dry and stir, then pour into a 4×6 oiled pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8). Cook for 12-18 minutes at 325 F. I’m not sure why this is the case, but these brownies seem to taste ten times sweeter if you don’t eat them for at least an hour after they come out of the oven!
My fudgey variation: (Highly recommended!) If you want them extremely fudgey– as in “so gooey you need a fork to eat them”—cook the batter for only 8-10 minutes. Then put the pan in the fridge to cool for at least three hours.